Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

The Other Side of the Gym...

This youtube clip is hilarious:


Maybe its because I have been involved in the gym culture since high school, but I was laughing my face off watching this. Yet, the personal trainer part of me was thinking, "There is something we could all learn from the opposite sex in the gym." I'm not saying that women should start yelling obscenities while spotting each other or guys to start taking pole dancing classes, but here are a few lessons we could learn from each other:

From the gentleman to the ladies:

  • Go heavy: A lot of times, when I hand a woman a weight over 12 pounds, I get a skeptical look, followed by, "Won't that make me bulky?" Listen: A lot of guys have a hard time getting bulky. Unless you are taking steroids, you won't get bulky. Eating too much of the wrong foods make you bulky. Lifting heavy weight will increase your metabolism and keep your body young, healthy and your metabolism revving.
  • Get in a little competition: a healthy race between you and your friends, or having a biggest loser contest will help light a little fire under you and help you get beyond your comfort zone. 
  • HIIT workouts: the guys are good about getting in and getting out on the cardio. I rarely see a guys spending more than 30 minutes hanging on the rails on the elliptical and reading a magazine. They are doing intervals, getting it done (probably so they can get to the heavy weights...). Try this: after a five minute warm up, sprint for one minute, walk for one minute. Repeat 10-15 times, 2-3 times a week, and reap the benefits. 

From the gals to the guys:

  • Stretch: Before I launch a workout routine for any new clients, I take them through a movement screening so I can see which muscles are weak and where the unbalances are in the body. A lot of guys I screen have a really hard time doing a squat with the heels down, or taking a big enough step to do a lunge, or a row without shrugging their shoulders. Flexibility is so important for movement and injury prevention. Guys, get in a try a yoga class or just stretch after your workout and you will see HUGE improvements in performance.
  • Leave your ego at the door: A little competition = good. Too much, with too many big heads = injury and decreased performances. A lot of guys lift too heavy, which compromises form and, instead of hitting the target muscle, put a lot of strain on their joints. At the least, you won't get a good workout, but more often than not, I will begin to hear, "My shoulder hurts" or "I think I pulled a hamstring". Lift with good form and reap the benefits.
  • Don't skip cardio: Guys will forgo the cardio for the weights, but they are doing a disservice to their cardiovascular systems, endurance and metabolism. Doesn't take much--20-30 minutes, 3 times a week and all the benefits are yours. 
Of course, working out, as in all things in life, is all about balance. Make sure you are getting all the components of a solid program--resistance, cardio, and flexibility-- and you will keep your metabolism revving, injuries at bay and your body young. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment