Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Its All About the Music


The dashboard clock reads 4:17 am. I’m cruising down I-35, but instead of chugging coffee and waiting for the caffeine buzz to kick in, I am pounding my wheel and singing at the top of my lungs. One of my favorite songs, “The Suffering” by Coheed and Cambria, is playing and my entire body in enveloped in the music: I’m bouncing in my seat, my heart is pumping and my muscles are on fire. I couldn’t be more awake. I will play this song—and some others that have the same effect—during my treadmill run later (uck, treadmills) and I won’t even notice the miles flying by.

I’m not a musical person. That gene sorta skipped me and went to my very talented sisters and cousins, but luckily, you do not have to be a musical person to reap the benefits of music during a workout. According to the American Council on Exercise, using music to move the body goes all the way back to the Roman period, when drummers controlled the oars of rowers through their steady pounding. Several studies have revealed that the right music can influence a workout in three ways: First, the beat of music tends to encourage us to move with it. (read: the faster the music, the higher the intensity of the workout). Second, just the sound of music increases arousal in our bodies, encouraging us to move rather then sit.  Finally, the right music can influence the perception of the workout. For example, when the tempo of the music increase, runners unconsciously increased their speed, but did not report that workout was much harder than when they ran at slower pace. They were able to run faster and longer.

Here’s the key: it isn’t always about tempo and rhythm. It’s about what moves you, what fires your emotions, what reminds you of your goals and sparks your energy. It also has to fit the tone of the workout. I choose my Spin music very carefully because I know that my choices directly and indirectly affect the motivation of my students. Club music and 80s rock are great for cardio, but Enya and Celtic music are better for a yoga-based, more spiritual workouts. I have so many play lists on my computer that have titles like “Leg day”, “Racing” and “Cool down”. One of the most satisfying feelings in the world is putting together a sound track that you know flows just right.  Damn, I should be a DJ….

 Everyone is different: My mom swears by Toby Keith. My youngest sister likes emo-rock and “Black Velvet” by Stevie Nicks. I have some clients who like something loud and hard and an equal amount who are pumped by dance beat and retro. For me, I need something that gets my imagination going and brings out an alter ego who isn’t intimated, anxious or unsure of herself. In addition to Coheed, Breaking Benjamin, Pink, Drowning Pool, Loreena McKennitt and the opening song to The Boondock Saints are just some of the tunes that I have to listen to before a hard run or a race. I would love to know what gets you going, so, if you have time, let me know. Now I gotta go—the “Dog Days” by Florence and the Machine is playing and I am feeling to need to go for a run….

No comments:

Post a Comment